Tuesday, April 6, 2010

2010?

It's 2010. Yay! I knew I was behind on posting but I didn't realize I was THAT behind. I mean how many important life events have occurred since then? (That was a rhetorical question). Ok so the only way I am going to get through this is by staying organized-or at least that is what the "speechie" in me would do (speechie=a "hip" way of referring to SLPs at my first externship). Here goes nothing!

December (2009):
-Christmas was pretty sweet this year. Brian came to join in the fun. He was still the fiance then.
-New Year's Eve: The lovely Barrus family was in Salt Lake making the holiday even more fun. We went to the Cannon's for fun, games, and more. A great time was had by all. Amanda stayed up until midnight! Really! The picture below is proof. Please note the time and date stamp.

We all pretended to be gangsters.

Baby Gavin was adorable as per usual.American Idol karaoke also made an appearance.
January:

-I turned 24. Hooray.

We decided to see who could buy the best thing at Walmart at for $2 or less. Then we played white elephant with our finds. A few gems include 33 cent women's knee highs, stick on nail jewels, clearance Christmas decorations, and more! I think my mom was pleased with her gift. What are the odds? Really? Snowmen?
I scored some sweet Hannah Montana juice boxes also known as "BellyWashers." If only I were still in elementary school so I could show those babies off at the lunch table!
Heather just tried to get along with Bo who was kind enough to grace us with his presence this trip.-Heather's family bridal shower was around that time. Our family is getting so big we had to hold the shower at the church. Here are the lucky couple:
They received a lot of very wonderful gifts. It was a lot of fun seeing some family from out of town as well. A belated thanks to all those who came and those who helped out.

-Spring Semester!

My last official semester at grad school started shortly after all of Heather's bridal showers. I started my last class ever (I hope) and began my externships. I am supposed to finish two externships before I complete the program. My class is aural rehabilitation and is unfortunately from 4:45-7:30 pm. Yuck. Three hour class after an 8 hour day at an externship is not so fun. It is nice to see all my classmates and one of my friends in the audiology program each week. I am used to seeing my fellow speechies every day though so it is kinda weird to only go up to school once each week.

February:

-Heather's wedding of course! I have a TON of pictures so I am just going to post a few. If you want to see more, check out my mom's blog.

Here they are fresh from the temple!
Later at the reception.
A lot of family and friends were able to be there. Here is a picture of the Wellington side of the family. Uncle Brad and Aunt Marilyn from Virginia were able to make the journey here. It was sure good to see them!
I have lots more pictures of others who came. It was nice to have all the support from so many wonderful people!

March:
-I finished my first externship at Highland Care Center, a sub-acute rehab center nearby. Most of my time those ten weeks were spent watching people eat and listening for coughing (it was really MUCH more than that!). I still look around often when I hear someone cough to look for the perpetrator. Why so much hype about coughing? Well in the world of dysphagia (swallowing disorders) coughing=food going the wrong way. I also was able to see various foods in many unappetizing consistencies. I think pureed pancake is the least appetizing-looking.
-I took the Praxis exam sometime in March or February. I don't remember exactly when. I think I am purposefully blocking it from my memory...For those who don't know, the Praxis was a test I had to pass in order to eventually get my license to practice. In any case, I found out later that I passed. That was a relief! I really didn't want to retake that test!
-One of the coolest things I got to do in March was participate in an Easter music program with my singles ward. I accompanied Carli, an old next door neighbor and now fellow ward member. She sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." It was the version my family sang at my Grandma Warner's funeral. I have always loved that version of the song. It was also really nice to remember my Grandma. The program was really great and had a special spirit there.
April:
-Externship-take 2!
I started my second externship. I am working in three schools in Granite District. It is great fun. I will finish up the last week of June. I can see myself perhaps working in the schools some day. My supervisor is really nice and knows her stuff. It is interesting to learn from her and see some things that I might want to emulate, but also notice other things I would want to change if I ever work in the schools. The kids are adorable and funny. One memorable experience: my first day with a group the kids were really nice and friendly. I was not running the session, but observing. During the session a cute little girl leaned over and told me in a sweet little whisper "you smell like my aunt." I am thinking to myself "is that a good thing or a bad thing?" I mean, what is a person to say to that? Thanks? I only hope her aunt doesn't smell bad. The funny thing is that she has said that same thing to me almost every session since. Soon afterwards, another little boy in the group, seeing that I'm not going to bite if someone talks to me, looks at me then starts dancing in his chair while lip syncing in a pretend microphone. He continues to do so for like a minute (which is a long time in therapy time). Instead of following my instincts which were to bust up laughing, I was forced to try to ignore his crazy antics so as not to further encourage the behavior. Hilarious? Yes. That is why I love working with kids.
-Conference weekend/Easter:
Ah General Conference. I just love conference weekend! It is such a blessing to hear from the servants of the Lord! I loved celebrating Easter on conference Sunday as well. My family, including Brian and Heather, traveled to Idaho Falls to spend conference with the Barrus family. We ate delicious food (of course), listened to conference, and colored Easter eggs. During Priesthood meeting, Heather, Tiffany, Amanda, and I went to a video store and a used book store looking for sweet deals. Amanda was able to get season 1 of Psych for FREE. She was pretty excited which is an understatement. My favorite part was the used book store. I LOVE books. Always have. I was able to find an out of print book I have been wanting. Saved me from creating an ebay account so I was happy. I also bought "The Hunger Games" which I have heard is very good. I am excited but I little apprehensive to start reading as I have heard it is very addictive. Apparently once you start you can't stop.
Recently:
-I picked up my cap, gown, and hood for graduation in May. My attire is very Harry Potter-esk.
-The great job hunt has begun! Mostly for a part time job for a few months, but I am also starting to think about where I want to go for my Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY). I am thinking somewhere out of state, but I don't know where I want to go or what population I want to work with. So for now I am starting to build up my resume and really just focus on the part time job since I need one ASAP. You can't really move without some kind of start up funds! I am currently looking for a job mostly at...the mall...yes it's true. Nothing like being a couple months away from a masters degree and looking to get paid $7/hr. Woot.

Well I think I am about caught up for now. Not much else to say about life except good fun, good friends, good life, and home each day in time for Oprah. What more could a girl ask for?

3 comments:

  1. Great post! By the way your sister got married in January. Isn't it funny how time meshes things together, especially when your busy. I would be ok if you found a CFY in state. (just saying) Whatever makes you happy will make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes well, I don't particularly remember the past 2 years or so of my life so I suppose it is not surprising that I mixed up a few of the dates. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. for real. gosh hol, what the heck?! :)

    ReplyDelete